Join our community focused on making comics! Attend live, online sessions on special topics, post and improve your work, and interact on our members-only forums.
Join an online community filled with people who are serious about making comic books—whether writing, penciling, inking, painting, coloring, lettering, or editing!
Each month, you’ll be invited to live, online sessions that focus on craft and industry-based topics, where you can ask your questions about the craft and business of comics!
And you’ll be part of our vibrant, members-only Workshop forums, where you can have your work critiqued by fellow writers and artists—plus professional comic book writers, editors, and artists. And you’ll have the opportunity to learn by critiquing the work of others!
Or just hang out and discuss everything from “breaking in” to how to launch your own comic book! Dive in to more than 60,000 posts focused on making comics!
Online registration only! Click the PayPal button below to enroll for just $29.99 a month!
Or, sign up for six months for $149.95 (with savings equal to one month free):
- Live Sessions
There’s never been a better time to join Comics Experience’s Creators Workshop! It’s a fun, supportive and honest place to improve your skills, build your project, and even submit it for publication all right here!
If you’re serious about breaking in, getting published, or just getting better, and want to have a good time doing it, you’ve come to the right place.
Professional quality writing and artist groups, circles, and workshops have been a proven method for getting published in all areas of writing and art for decades. Now, the Comic Creators Workshop brings that same approach to comic books.
Here’s what you’ll have access to each month:
- Gain access to our members-only Workshop Forums where you can hold discussions, ask questions, and read great advice or articles on creating comics and breaking in to the industry, all month long!
- Learn from our many professionals who do in-depth critiques on script and art. Comics professionals like Andy Schmidt (former Marvel and IDW Editor), Marc Sumerak (former Marvel Editor and comics writer), Molly Lazer (former Marvel Editor and instructor), artists Robert Atkins (Snake Eyes, GI Joe, Heroes for Hire), Reilly Brown (Deadpool, Hercules, Lobo) and Paolo Rivera (Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man) will do critiques of selected work posted by members each month.
- Our membership includes several professional comics creators who will talk about their careers, give advice, and participate in general discussions as well as giving the occasional sneak peak at upcoming projects. Here are a few of the names either currently on the boards or who have been members: Fred Van Lente, Cullen Bunn, Chuck Dixon, Kyle Higgins, Justin Jordan, Andy Schmidt, Nicole Boose, Sean Chen, Chris Sotomayor, Reilly Brown, Robert Atkins, Paolo Rivera, Brian Atkins, Paul Allor, Amy Chu, Brandon Seifert, and Max Dunbar. Learn from those doing what you want to do!
- Post your own comics scripts, outlines, pitch documents, or artwork to be reviewed by other members or professionals, and learn more about the craft of creating comics by giving feedback to others. (more than 90% of the scripts posted for review receive a professional review).
- LIVE, online workshop meetings, usually once per month, generally on the second Tuesday, starting at 9:00pm ET. Discuss craft and industry topics with Andy or our special guests in one session per month aimed at having fun and improving your craft.
- Our past live guests have included Robert Kirkman, Scott Snyder, Terry Moore, Christos Gage and Chris Samnee, Kurt Busiek, John Layman and Rob Guillory, Jason Aaron, Jeff Lemire, Cullen Bunn and Brian Hurtt, and many more! Sessions are recorded and available for several weeks so you’ll never miss one.
- Network with fellow comic book creators in a fun, no-stress, and “flame-free” environment—for support, encouragement, and inspiration. And join us at our in-person “meet-ups” at major comic conventions!
- Join in on “Collaboration Corner, a sub-forum where writers, artists, colorists, and letterers all team up with one another to bring their projects to life.
- Dedicated “Ask the Pros” sub-forum features several comics creators and industry professionals that you can ask direct questions to, whether general questions about craft of how the industry works, or question specific to something going on with your own project or projects.
- Submit your comics to the Comics Experience Publishing program. We publish both print and digital-only comics projects while you retain 100% ownership and 100% creative control. You do the work, we’ll help you get the work out into the world. Get a detailed overview on the publishing program, submission process, and a look at our first projects.
- Workshop members periodically are offered special—Creators Workshop only—discounts to upcoming events that are listed on the website.
Just imagine how all of this will raise your game! Now, turn your brain on, get your computer warmed up, and get ready to make some comics!
Traditional workshops can be expensive. But the Comic Creators Workshop is priced at only $29.99 per month. Or, sign up for six months for $149.95 (with savings equal to one month free). Under either billing option, you will be billed automatically. And you may cancel your subscription at any time.*
Enrollment is open to anyone interested in growing their creativity and honing their craft. If you have any questions about the Workshop, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the PayPal buttons to enroll now and start yourself on the path to comic book writing success!
*There are no refunds at the time of cancellation but your membership will last until the time you have paid for expires.
“On the one hand, the forum acts as learning tool. On the other hand, this forum is a place for creators to provide support for each other. There are a lot of different paths and goals, but ultimately we want to succeed in comics. So whether it is looking to write a licensed property at one of the Big Two or creating the next Indie blockbuster (or anything in between), the forum provides a sense of camaraderie. And that is because of the great people on this forum.”
“I didn’t know what a comic script looked like until joining the Comics Experience Workshop. Now I try to create ten short stories a year and having the support of this community is essential. I’m still intimidated by the amount of talent here, but it’s a welcoming place for people of all experience levels.”
“The Creators Workshop is a way of getting valuable, constructive feedback on ideas and scripts, watching a lot of creative ideas get developed, exchanging information about various aspects of producing comics, and interacting with artists and writers from many different backgrounds. How wonderful that these opportunities are offered to people who live outside of New York and Los Angeles.”
“Living overseas, I always felt that I was one step removed from the comics community I wanted to be a part of. Until I found Comics Experience, that is. The Creators Workshop has given me the opportunity to get feedback on all my comic-related questions and interact with some wonderful people, regardless of where we live.”
“Being an Australian hasn’t put me in the middle of the world of comics, but Comics Experience has made that possible. The Comics Experience Workshop is a creative community unlike any other. Build your skill as an author or artist, critique each other in a friendly, encouraging but open and honest manner, and learn all about the business of making comics. Wherever you are, joining Comics Experience will enable you to harness your talent and connect with people doing the same thing!”
“The idea of making comics can be an intimidating experience. What the forums, and Comics Experience, does really well is bring you behind the curtain and give you the support to pursue the comics dream.”
“If you are an aspiring comic creator, Comics Experience is the place for you. You have entire courses taught by professionals on comic writing, comic art, comic production and so much more. You have access to a whole community that shares your interest in comics and wants to help your comic-making-dreams become a reality. The resources provided by Comics Experience are just too good to pass up.”
“Through the feedback I get on the Challenge scripts, through the discussions I’ve had with CE members (here and in [gasp!] real life), and through the live workshop sessions, I’ve realized what my strengths and weaknesses are as a writer, how to build on those strengths (while hopefully minimizing those weaknesses at the same time), and that people will want to read my work. And that’s made me actively go out there and find people who can help me get these stories completed and published.”
Dr. Moti Friedman
“During my months in Comics Experience’s Creators Workshop I received invaluable feedback from both professional comic book creators and talented new artists that has been essential in driving my growth as a comic book writer and artist. This online community is a great place to hone your craft in a supportive environment while meeting new friends who share your love for comic books and it is my pleasure to recommend it as such.”
“I’ve made a lot of friends here that are all working towards the same goal, and I’m amazed at the amount of great feedback I get every time I post one of my projects. One thing about comics is that it’s not an easy business, at any level. I’m not 100% sure I’d be able to stick it out without the support and help of my fellow worshippers.”
“Working with such incredible, comic-loving people in the forums, all of whom are willing to point out and help me through rough areas of my scripts, is priceless, and on those occassions when I make someone laugh or hear that they enjoyed what I had written makes my day, month and year all at the same time.”
See All Creator’s Workshop Testimonials
Do I need to be published or experienced to join?
No, people at all levels of experience are welcome. We have members and alums who are doing work for Marvel, DC, IDW Publishing, Image, Dynamite Entertainment and more, but we also have members who are entirely new to comics. We have an open and welcoming community.
Do I need to take Comics Experience courses to be a member of the Workshop?
No. We certainly have many alumni who are members of our community, but the courses are NOT a prerequisite for membership in our forum community.
Do I have to post my work in order to be a member?
No, there’s no requirement that you post your work. Some members simply enjoy interacting and learning on the forums. Others prefer to only sit in on our live sessions — or even just watch the recordings after the fact. Of course, many members also post their work and give and receive critiques, or engage in our (optional) writing and art challenges, but there is no requirement — and no pressure — that you do so.
What if I miss a live session?
We record our live sessions and, as a member, you’ll be able to view the recording as many times as you like via your computer with an Internet connection for several weeks after the session.
Do I need any special equipment or software for the live meetings?
You’ll need a computer with an Internet connection and a web browser, and a high speed connection is highly recommended. If you want to interact verbally, you’ll also need headphones or ear buds (to avoid echo) and a microphone, however it’s possible to participate via text chat even without those, and many members simply listen to the conversations.
How do I qualify to have my work reviewed by professionals?
Scripts and artwork postings are randomly selected by our professional members on an on-going basis. If you’ve posted your work, you’re eligible for review. If you’ve tried other online forums, you may also be pleasantly surprised by the quality of feedback and critiques you receive on our forums from your fellow members as well.
I only want to write for the Big Two…OR…I only want to write indie/creator-owned comics. Is the Creators Workshop for me?
We have members who fall into either category — or both! Regardless of your goals, you’ll be welcome!
Who are the professionals who stalk the boards?
We have many professionals including our staff; whom you can read about here. In addition to the staff, we often have guest professionals and professional members who enjoy, use, and help the community. Jump in, and you’ll start to realize who they are.
To participate in our live online sessions you will need:
- A computer or mobile device that meets Adobe Connect’s minimum requirements
- High-speed Internet access
- Headphones/ear buds with microphone (optional, but strongly suggested)
- A mind like a sponge!
Are you wondering what we discuss in our monthly (or more often) live-streaming, online Creators Workshop meetings?
In the past, we’ve been joined by special guests such as Robert Kirkman, Jason Aaron, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, Terry Moore, Ramon Perez, Mark Waid, and many more. And we’ve discussed topics like comic art storytelling and dynamics, budgeting your project, and comic book marketing, to name just a few.
Recordings of sessions are available to Workshop members for several weeks after the live session.