Master Seminar with Fred Van Lente: Pitching Comics!
A great pitch isn’t just a selling tool between you and your publisher; it’s how the publisher’s marketing team will sell it to press, retailers, distributors, the public–everybody! That’s why it’s got to be perfect from the very start. New York Times bestselling writer Fred Van Lente (Amazing Spider-Man, Conan the Barbarian, Archer & Armstrong, and many more) will guide you through the process, showing you how to create both a single-page (one-sheet) pitch document, as well as a larger project bible.
The Master Seminar is co-hosted by Comics Experience founder Andy Schmidt (former Marvel Editor) and is offered ONE TIME ONLY, so don’t delay, Click on the PayPal button below and reserve your “seat” before they’re all gone!
Space is limited, so don’t delay—sign up for the course today!
Online registration only. Click the PayPal button to enroll for just $295!
- You’ll spend roughly five-hours online with Fred Van Lente—starting at 10:00 AM ET—in a prepared discussion that walks you through Van Lente’s own pitching process for comic books.
- Fred will give you insights and tips along the way.
- Fred uses proven and published examples in his own work that really get the job done!
- You’ll be privy to discussions between comics pros Fred Van Lente and Andy Schmidt, drawing from each other’s experiences to really get a complete understanding of all angles of the pitching process.
- You’ll be able to ask questions live in a Q&A chat that Andy will flow into the conversation (so long as they’re relevant to the topic at hand).
- We will end with a solid Q&A session where Fred will take questions of all kinds on comic book writing and the industry.
- You’ll have access to a full recording of the session for two weeks following the live event so you can watch and take notes again and again.
- If you can’t attend live, you’ll get access to the full recording and you’ll have the option of sending a few questions in advance to Andy that he can work into the Seminar.
This is a ONE-TIME-ONLY Master Seminar and will not be repeated, so don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to hone your pitch-writing process! Enroll now!
Online registration only: To attend Master Seminar with Fred Van Lente: Pitching Comics!, you must register online. Enrollment is limited!
Fred Van Lente is the #1 New York Times bestselling, award-winning writer of many, many comics, including The Amazing Spider-Man, Archer & Armstrong (Harvey Award nominee, Best Series), Action Philosophers! (American Library Association Best Graphic Novel for Teens), and Cowboys & Aliens (with Andrew Foley), the basis for the feature film.
His many other comics and graphic novels include Weird Detective, The Comic Book History of Comics, The Incredible Hercules (with Greg Pak), Taskmaster, and Marvel Zombies. Pak and Van Lente also wrote the popular how-to book Make Comics Like the Pros for Ten/Speed Random House.
In 2017 Van Lente branched into the world of prose with his debut novel, the stand-up murder mystery Ten Dead Comedians. His follow-up novel, The Con Artist, set in the comic book industry, arrived in 2018.
Do I need to know everything about comics?
Absolutely not. This is a course about creating comics pitches; it’s an in-depth discussion, but we strive to make sure that our conversational tone is inclusive to our wide range of attendees’ experience.
Do I need to be a computer wiz for the class?
No, but you do need to have high-speed Internet access. We recommend that you have headphones with a microphone to plug into your computer, but that’s by no means necessary.
What if I can’t attend at the last minute? Can I make it up?
This is a one-time master seminar so there is no way to make it up, but if you have enrolled, you will have access to a recording of the session for two weeks after it’s held to review as many times as you like!
What computer programs do I need for this course?
None at all. Though we will talk about some programs, you’re not going to be asked to use any of them during the seminar.
If I don’t live in North America, can I still take the course?
You bet. We’ve had students jump in from Europe, Asia, Australia, South America and Africa. Many of these students have not been able to attend live due to the time difference, but they’ve all been happy to view the recordings!
If I don’t want a career in comics, and just like making comics or even just want to learn more about the art form I love, is the Master Seminar right for me?
Sure it is! This seminar is a great way to learn a ton about comics, how they’re made, and the thought process behind them. It could really change the way you read comics—for the better. We’d love to have you!
How do I sign up?
Click on the PayPal button for this course and you’ll get an email confirmation and instructions within two business days giving you everything you need to attend the Master Seminar.
Go ahead and reserve your spot today! Space is limited.
Prerequisite: No prerequisites needed!
To participate in our live online sessions you will need:
- A computer or mobile device that meets Go To Meeting’s minimum requirements
- To agree to the terms included in Comics Experience’s User Agreement.
- High-speed Internet access
- Headphones/earbuds with microphone (optional, but strongly suggested)
- A mind like a sponge!
Online registration only: To attend Master Seminar with Fred Van Lente: Pitching Comics!, you must register online. Enrollment is limited.*
*We do not currently offer refunds after enrollment.