Rebooting a comics universe is an awesome responsibility. To be given the “keys to the castle” and be expected to remain true to the core elements of the fictional universe, while at the same time re-creating plot lines and character bios, is an onus that causes even established pros to doubt themselves.
Join New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Hickman (X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, East of West) along with Comics Experience Founder Andy Schmidt for an intimate discussion of what goes into the re-making of a universe! The Art of Writing for the Reboot Master Seminar will cover not only the process behind Hickman’s recent reboot of Marvel’s X-Man franchise (the hugely popular new series House of X, Powers of X and Dawn of X) but in addition offers tips and techniques for rebooting any fictional universe. A true master of his craft, Hickman was responsible for three of the top ten bestselling comics of 2019!
Reboots represent incredible opportunities for a franchise; the chance to redefine characters, open up new story possibilities and bring in new readership. But, they are also fraught with land mines; playing God with iconic and beloved characters can prove disastrous if the changes don’t resonate with the fandom. Learn from these industry insiders and join the discussion about some of the most famous comics reboots in history and why they were, or were not, successful.
This one-time only, live Master Seminar is sure to be entertaining, educational and thought-provoking—all you’ve come to expect from Comics Experience!
- You’ll spend roughly five hours online with Jonathan Hickman—starting at 10:00 AM ET—in a prepared discussion that walks you through Hickman’s own writing process.
- Jonathan will give you insights and tips along the way.
- Jonathan uses proven and published examples in his own work that really get the job done!
- You’ll be privy to discussions between comics pros Jonathan Hickman and Andy Schmidt, drawing from each other’s experiences to really get a complete understanding of all angles of the writing process, specifically for writing reboots.
- You’ll be able to ask questions live in a Q&A chat that Andy will flow into the conversation (so long as they’re relevant to the topic at hand).
- We will end with a solid Q&A session where Jonathan will take questions of all kinds on comic book writing and the industry.
- You’ll have access to a full recording of the session for two weeks following the live event so you can watch and take notes again and again.
- If you can’t attend live, you’ll get access to the full recording and you’ll have the option of sending a few questions in advance to Andy that he can work into the Seminar.
This is a ONE-TIME-ONLY Master Seminar and will not be repeated, so don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity learn from an industry pro! Enroll now!
Jonathan Hickman is a writer and artist who is best-known for creating the Image Comics series The Nightly News, The Manhattan Projects and East of West, as well as working on Marvel Comics Fantastic Four, FF, and S.H.I.E.L.D titles. In 2012, Hickman ended his run on the Fantastic Four titles to write The Avengers and The New Avengers, as part of the “Marvel NOW!” relaunch. In 2015, he wrote the crossover event Secret Wars.
He has designed covers for Virgin Comics, most significantly Andy Diggle’s Guy Ritchie’s Gamekeeper and Garth Ennis’ Seven Brothers.
Most recently, Hickman wrote three new reboot series for Marvel’s X-Men franchise, the hugely popular new House of X/Powers of X and Dawn of X.
Do I need to know everything about comics?
Absolutely not. This is a course about writing comics; it’s an in-depth discussion, but we strive to make sure that our conversational tone is inclusive to our wide range of attendees’ experience.
Do I need to be a computer wiz for the class?
No, but you do need to have high-speed internet access. We recommend that you have headphones with a microphone to plug into your computer, but that’s by no means necessary.
What if I can’t attend at the last minute? Can I make it up?
This is a one-time Master Seminar so there is no way to make it up, but if you have enrolled, you will have access to a recording of the session for two weeks after it’s held to review as many times as you like!
What computer programs do I need for this course?
None at all. Though we will talk about some programs, you’re not going to be asked to use any of them during the seminar.
If I don’t live in North America, can I still take the course?
You bet. We’ve had students jump in from Europe, Asia, Australia, South America and Africa. Many of these students have not been able to attend live due to the time difference, but they’ve all been happy to view the recordings!
If I don’t want a career in comics, and just like making comics or even just want to learn more about the art form I love, is the Master Seminar right for me?
Sure it is! This seminar is a great way to learn a ton about comics, how they’re made, and the thought process behind them. It could really change the way you read comics—for the better. We’d love to have you!
How do I sign up?
Click on the PayPal button for this course and you’ll get an email confirmation and instructions within two business days giving you everything you need to attend the Master Seminar.
Go ahead and reserve your spot today! Space is limited.
To participate in our live online sessions you will need:
- A computer or mobile device that meets Zoom’s minimum requirements
- To agree to the terms included in Comics Experience’s User Agreement.
- High-speed Internet access
- Headphones/ear buds with microphone (optional, but strongly suggested)
- A mind like a sponge!